Highlights of the event include the announcement of inductees to Phi Beta Kappa, the nation’s oldest and most prestigious academic honors fraternity; the selection of students to the Guild of St. Ansgar, named in honor of the first Christian missionary to Scandinavia; and the announcement of 15 female juniors to the Guild of St. Lucia, in honor of Gustavus’ Swedish heritage. Both guilds recognize academic, extra-curricular, and leadership achievements.
In addition, four seniors and four juniors will be honored as this year’s Albert G. Swanson and Gerhard T. Alexis Scholars. The Swanson and Alexis awards are given annually to the seniors and juniors who have achieved the highest cumulative grade point average through the 2009-10 academic year.
Scheduled events for the day are as follows:
- Coffee Reception / 9:30 a.m. / Johns Family Courtyard
- Honors Convocation / 10:30 a.m. / Christ Chapel
- Honors Day Luncheon Buffet (ticket required) / 11:30 a.m. / Evelyn Young Dining Room
- Atypical 9 to 5 Student Art Exhibition / 1-6 p.m. / Hillstrom Museum of Art
- Senior Honors Recital / 1:30 p.m. / Jussi Bjorling Recital Hall
- Political Science Research Symposium / 1:30-3 p.m. / Old Main
- Gustavus Choir Home Concert / 3 p.m. / Christ Chapel
- Gustavus Wind Orchestra and Vasa Wind Orchestra Concert / 7 p.m. / Christ Chapel
For more information about Honors Day events, contact the Gustavus Office of Marketing and Communication at 507-933-7520.
Media Contact: Director of Media Relations and Internal Communication JJ Akin