Highlights of the event include the announcement of inductees to Phi Beta Kappa, the nation’s oldest and most prestigious academic honors fraternity; the selection of students to the Guild of St. Ansgar, named in honor of the first Christian missionary to Scandinavia; and the announcement of 15 female juniors to the Guild of St. Lucia, in honor of Gustavus’ Swedish heritage. Both guilds recognize academic, extra-curricular, and leadership achievements.
In addition, six seniors and three juniors will be honored as this year’s Albert G. Swanson and Gerhard T. Alexis Scholars. The Swanson and Alexis awards are given annually to the seniors and juniors who have achieved the highest cumulative grade point average through the 2013-14 academic year.
The Honors Day Convocation speaker will be Associate Professor of English Rebecca Fremo, who was named the 2013 recipient of the Edgar M. Carlson Award for Distinguished Teaching at last spring’s commencement ceremony. The Carlson Award is the faculty’s highest accolade for teaching excellence.
Scheduled events for the day are as follows:
- 9:30 a.m. / Coffee Reception / Johns Courtyard and Courtyard Café
- 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. / Books in Bloom Exhibition / Folke Bernadotte Memorial Library
- 10:30 a.m. / Honors Convocation / Christ Chapel
- 1 p.m. / Communication Studies Honors Reception / Torrey Atrium, Beck Academic Hall
- 1-6 p.m. / Senior Art Majors’ Exhibition 2014 / Hillstrom Museum of Art
- 1:30 p.m. / Senior Honors Recital 2014 / Jussi Björling Recital Hall
- 1:30 p.m. / Political Science Research Symposium / Old Main, Second Floor
- 7:30 p.m. / “Grace: The Gustavus Dance Company in Concert” / Anderson Theatre
For more information about Honors Day events, contact the Gustavus Office of Marketing and Communication at 507-933-7520 or email@example.com.
Media Contact: Director of Media Relations and Internal Communication Matt Thomas